Saturday, February 07, 2015

Rotorua


Judging by the amount of pictures, you can guess how amazing Rotorua is.  I know I've said it before, but the diversity in this tiny island just blows my mind. It really does have it all. Rotorua is like Middle Earth meets Yellowstone National Park. Wai-o-tapu is this geothermal wonderland made up of every color of the rainbow. If you ask the kids they will tell you it was way too much walking, but we did see some pretty amazing sites.


















Kerosene creek was a hidden gem passed on by a friend. Unlike the spa thermal park in Taupo, this one was off the beaten path. Literally. You take a long unmarked bumpy dirt road to get here and you would miss it if you didn't know what you were looking for. My favorite kind of place. And instead of just a small section being heated, the whole entire river is a hot tub. It is seriously amazing. And then my zoom lens rolled out of my bag and fell into the water. I was so sad, I use that thing all the time! It kind of put a damper on the situation. But like my sister said, it's a pretty good place for it to be laid to rest.






We took a stroll through the Redwood Forest. Ya know, I've got a thing for overgrown trees and wooded paths, it's all so dreamy.









Our last stop was the Skyline Gondola and Luge, just like the one in Queenstown. We had to laugh when we got in the gondola and saw this picture, because it is totally what I did the last time we were on it and I had a panic attack!





Maddox and Ryder were literally in tears over who had to ride with me because I'm so slow. Slow and steady wins the race, I always say.











What an amazing little pocket of the world, so grateful for the chance we had to explore it!


3 comments:

Just me said...

Yummy!!! You are changing your children's futures radically by bringing them up with so much beauty, exploration, adventure and outdoorsiness (yep, maybe I made that up). I doubt any of them could possibly now go forward to a run-of-the-mill suburban life :-)

Beautiful pics as always!

Jodee said...

those colors are truly a wonder. Rotorua was one of our most favorite places too. So cool to be walking all over volcanos and thermal waters. You guys found so amazing spots! I want to go back!!!!!

Janessa said...

Incredible! That totally looks like Yellowstone and the Redwood Forest. And a thermal river to boot. All in one beautiful place! Still so sad about your lens. Your pictures are still just as amazing as always though! It made me laugh that your boys were crying over who has to go with you on the luge. Haha! Glad you didn't have any panic attacks at least :)